Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Value of Relationship


I am beginning to believe that goals and dreams do not accurately describe journeys of success. Its simply not enough. Today’s heroic stories appear to exist without heroism and leaders have taken the helm ill-equipped, void of leadership skills. To whom should our communities turn? Who should youth aspire to be greater than? These questions help explain the confused existence of mentorship, friendships, relationships, leadership and success. Unfortunately, the accepted current broad definitions of leadership and success are robbing communities of bravery, adulthood, love, and purpose.

Although I wish my thoughts could take a stance of innocuous curiosity, I recognize my contribution to the puzzling questions. I have fought to change ideas of success by creating a tribunal filled with dreamers, change agents and constructionists. I intended to surround myself with those who wanted more; who needed more. Unfortunately, I did not include "teachers," people with the propensity to educate against all odds, contributing greatly to the problem. Subsequently, I have succeeded in dreaming brighter however success still evades me, as the vision of legacy fades.

Over the last four years, I have watched man age without maturity and strive for mediocrity. My campus is filled with people who can articulate their major but cannot find the script to their dreams. My campus buzzes with Black student pride from admission while failing to stay enrolled. The campus climate becomes mute with each misuse of the word friendship; mentor; brother; sister; frat; boyfriend; girlfriend; and partner. The lack of valor entrusted in these sacred relationships allows every coward a space to exist as King.

Every day I watch I-Pods lull unborn dreams to sleep while practiced entitled persistence wins, because competition never shows up. I can’t help but feel that relationships are to blame. People’s Facebook accounts and mirroring classrooms, are filled with weak alliances and scared truth-sayers. Overcrowded with those who are afraid to demand more of each participant, causing an epidemic of dreamless days and uneventful nights. I see this Brown Scare wreaking havoc on a docile culture. Community is success.
I painfully acknowledge that I have yet to find a circle of dreamers, change agents and constructionists, patient enough to teach those impervious to learning. A prince-hood, willing to bleed at the connection of every brick wall. I have yet to influence a caravan of legacy builders who dare to teach someone how to be a better person than they, themselves dream to become. Contritely, I have yet to meet anyone who wanted to succeed as much as they wanted to breathe. Success is community.

The issue cuts both ways – youth (dreamer) and the more seasoned (dream inducer).

Tiredly, I continue to redefine the possibilities of success and I continue to seek youth to help create those requirements. It is important to tell people the missteps, the down falls, the journey, the stress, the anxiety, the worry and endurance needed for change … but some how the abridged versions seem to be told the loudest.
 

Today, I charge you with the task to be brave enough and mature enough, to find purpose in the narrative of your journey. Your story could be the catalyst to the next dream. Force an honest dialogue with someone close to you. Invest in another person's growth.

Welcome to Big Business Tuesday!



6 comments:

  1. Dr. Helm. Wow. I read this and felt a sense of connection with you. I agree with everything you said not only because I believe in it but I am on the same journey. I aspire to do something bigger and I am working toward it! I'm doing what I have to do so that I can be able to do what I WANT.
    There is a purpose for my journey. It will be successful. You bring up a great question, "What's the purpose of your journey?" "What are you striving for?".
    One of favorite quotes come to mind:
    Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. -Eleanor Roosevelt

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has me thinking perhaps it is time to begin the fostering of dreams. What we lack as a community are caretakers to those dreams. Parents by default are suppose to hold the burden or perhaps previlage of concieving, birthing and nurturing dreamers and doers, but they are absent. So we must now carry the burden and previlage of this and the next generation. If we do not show them what it means to dream, then dreaming will become a lost art and us a lost people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the issues brought up in this blog. Most of the things that used to matter in the past do not matter anymore and this is not just an issue that could be solely blamed on youth nowadays, especially youth in America. In my opinion, we're all contributing to this issue someway somehow. Americans are growing up very spoiled. Two decades ago, my parents used to ask for books as christmas gift just because they were conscious of the issues they were facing and wanted people to invest in their success. Research shows that the most requested gifts for the past decade have been electronics; ipad, xbox 360, play station 3, ipod and so on. How could these devices contribute to our success? I, personally didn't get the opportunity to enjoy these gifts growing up. The only electronic device I received as a gift was a printer. I used to be upset every christmas because I wouldn't understand why I was getting books, while my friends bragged about their brand new video games when my parents could clearly afford the same gifts my friends were receiving. I only understood the reason behind those gifts as my maturity level increased. My parents were not trying to raise a spoiled child. They have endured a great deal of struggle to be where they are today and would only invest in my success and nothing else and the only way to do so is to get me to read books.
    We could not discuss solutions and ways to transform and raise a better generation without evaluating the reasons behind the changes we see today and an entire volume could be written about the ways in which that change could be made, but it all starts with ourselves and our attitude. Brothers and sisters, think about what you have personally done to impact someone else's life today and become that change you would want to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Helm what a powerful word, I can relate to the message given her and a lot of things struck me so hard and I had to take inventory on myself. God bless you in your ministry of reaching out to all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Dr. Helm for bringing about such a dialogue in which there are no instant solutions accept that each of rediscover the importance of values.Somewhere along the way we have been side-tracked or blinded by the gratification and technological opportunity of being able to build and create unlimited amounts of pseudo-friendships and networks and communities. We have removed ourselves from our surroundings on a personal,social,and professional level. All is not lost and yes we can re-connect and we must if we are to save ourselves and our youth and our families and our communities. It can be done with the beginning of such a dialogue in which I hope will lead to tangible social goals and action planning to bring about change beyond the internet. I admire and bless you for the mission you have embarked upon. All is not lost and yes, if we want something accomplished it must begin with each of us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr. Helm,

    Your mentorship continues to expand its mediums. Charles the educator; brother; parent; friend; and now, blogger.

    These multiple "you's" are continuously contributing to building the momentum for your own legacy and, of course, for ours. I discovered this page today, during a break from skiing in Montana's mountains, and found myself distracted by your wisdom through the very end. Keep writing publicly.

    -Lil bro

    ReplyDelete